While Integrity Sampling provides workplace drug testing services in Victoria and other parts of Australia – in fact it’s our sole business – we’re well aware that implementing drug testing isn’t a decision that should be taken without careful consideration.
To help you consider the implementation and the types of questions you should find answers to, WorkSafe Victoria have developed an excellent resource titled the ‘Guide for developing a workplace alcohol and other drugs policy’. While the guide is not just about workplace drug testing in Victoria, there is a considerable section set aside for testing, so let’s take a look at some of the main points.
Workplace drug testing in Victoria – key points
- Generally, workplace drug testing is only for Victorian businesses where safety is important. Before making the decision, you should conduct a risk assessment in your workplace.
- Workplace drug testing in Victoria is just one of many control measures that can be used to help combat the impact of drugs and alcohol.
- The OHS Act and Regulations do not mandate, require or prohibit testing. However, there are some workplaces that require testing as part of their alcohol and other drugs management plan and industrial agreements.
- If you decide to implement workplace drug testing in your Victorian workplace, it should be part of a comprehensive alcohol and drug program, be supported by appropriate and clear policies and procedures, and include education and support for all your employees.
- Your policies and procedures for workplace drug testing in Victoria should be developed in consultation with employees. While it’s preferable that your employees agree with the testing, agreement isn’t always possible, but that doesn’t negate the need to consult.
- Your policies and procedures should cover privacy and confidentially of employees, as well as what happens when an employee refuses to be tested.
- Workplace drug testing should be conducted in accordance with the relevant Australian Standards.
- When conducting random drug testing, the testing should be truly random and not discriminatory in any way.
- Your policies and procedures should include a grievance and complaints process.
As mentioned above, there are some industries and worksites in Victoria where workplace drug testing is required. The WorkSafe Victoria guide lists, for example, mining operators, due to OHS regulations, and the transport industry (such as aviation, rail, road and maritime employees), due to public safety legislation.
Implementing workplace drug testing in your Victorian business
Implementing workplace drug testing can be, dare we say it, testing!
To make it easy, Integrity Sampling can help. We can assist with all aspects of drug and alcohol management, including development of policies and procedures, education for employees and, of course, workplace drug testing.
See our Victorian workplace drug testing page for more information on where Integrity Sampling’s branches are located or give us a call on 1300 SALIVA.
Implementing workplace drug testing in Victoria can be testing, but not if you use Integrity Sampling. Credit Takver https://www.flickr.com/photos/takver/14687684710/, image modified.