Thinking about Christmas parties in early October may sound a bit premature (a bit like some shopping centres who put up Christmas decorations at this time of the year!) but with the party season fast approaching there’s no better time to start planning. Which means there’s also no better time to dust off the drugs and alcohol policy for your Tasmanian business and do a thorough review.
Protecting your Tasmanian business from the scourge of drugs and alcohol
Drugs and alcohol in the workplace can be an issue in many Tasmanian workplaces at any time of the year, but during the Christmas party season there are specific considerations you should think about. In a recent issue of the quarterly Workplace Issues Magazine, WorkSafe Tasmania looked at the issue of alcohol and workplace parties and listed a variety of things you should do to protect your workplace:
- Ensure your drugs and alcohol policy covers workplace social events (see more below).
- Provide employees with an expectation that people will behave responsibly at these events.
- Ensure event goers have access to non-alcohol drinks and food.
- Designate workplace event managers.
- Encourage event goers to use alternative means for people to get home if they’re going to drink alcohol. This might simply be letting people know how to get to the closest bus stop or train station, providing the number for the taxi service, or putting on a shuttle bus service when public transport isn’t available.
- Stop serving alcohol before the event officially ends.
A drugs and alcohol policy for your Tasmanian workplace
Central to any workplace party planning is your drugs and alcohol policy. While workplace parties will only form a minor part of your policy, details such as those listed above in the bullet points should be included and should be communicated to employees, particularly in the lead up to the Christmas party season.
Of course, your drugs and alcohol policy will include so much more. It will need to be robust and provide details about every aspect of your workplace drug and alcohol management, including the responsibilities of management and employees, details of drug and alcohol testing you will conduct and procedures for people who are found in the workplace under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.
Integrity Sampling Tasmania can help
Need help putting together or revising your drugs and alcohol policy? Give Integrity Sampling a call. As well as conducting drug and alcohol testing, we also can help workplaces with every aspect of their drug and alcohol management, including developing a drugs and alcohol policy.
A robust drugs and alcohol policy for your Tasmanian business is a vital tool, particularly in the lead-up to workplace Christmas events.