When it comes to implementing workplace drug testing in a NSW business or developing a program to manage drugs and alcohol, most business owners are completely daunted. However, while there’s no doubt it’s not easy, it’s not rocket science either, and help is at hand for those that need it.
One of the places you can turn to for help is SafeWork NSW. They have some excellent resources on their website, including a page specifically on ‘Alcohol and other drugs’, which includes drug testing.
Here are some highlights from the page:
- Managing drugs and alcohol in the workplace is simply a way of managing another safety risk.
- As with all health and safety risks, alcohol and drugs are everyone’s responsibility. While businesses can be harmed by poor drug and alcohol management, ultimately employees who are unfit to be at work because of alcohol or drugs put themselves and others at risk.
- In some NSW industries, workplace drug testing is required, while other industries have policies that include the provision of drug testing.
- Poor drug and alcohol management and lack of workplace drug testing in your NSW business can lead to inefficiency, lateness, absenteeism, lost time, damage to equipment and lost production.
Workplace drug testing in NSW
The WorkSafe NSW page also lays out some key points about drug testing. If you are going to implement drug testing in your NSW workplace, ensure you have a policy that includes:
- The purpose of the testing
- The type of testing you’ll carry out and testing procedures, including cut-off points for a positive result
- When and why tests are carried out
- How test samples and results are handled
- Procedures following a positive test
- Consequence of a positive test (if any). While some workplaces do have a zero tolerance, most provide warnings and support for employees. All this should be detailed in your drug and alcohol policy
- Consequences of refusing to take part in drug testing in your NSW business
- Legal rights of those tested
- A process for grievances and complaints
- How results of drug testing will be reviewed and conveyed to management
Integrity Sampling for workplace drug testing in NSW
The other place you can turn to for help in NSW, for drug testing and in fact everything you need in regards to drug and alcohol management, is Integrity Sampling. We have nearly 20 years’ experience in drug and alcohol management and our consultants are experts in drug testing and alcohol testing processes.
Integrity Sampling has several locations in NSW and has geographical coverage across much of the state. Our branch locations include Bourke, Coffs Harbour, Dubbo, Goulburn, Griffith, Lismore, Newcastle, Port Macquarie, Sydney, Tamworth, Wagga Wagga and Wollongong.
Give us a call on 1300 SALIVA to discuss your needs.
Introducing workplace drug testing in your NSW business can be daunting, but rest-assured it’s not rocket science. Credit NASA Goodard Space Flight Centre (image modified) https://www.flickr.com/photos/gsfc/16495356966/