If you own or manage a business in Western Australia that is safety critical, one of your key tactics to improve safety should be to conduct workplace drug testing. Western Australian statistics show that drug use and misuse is an issue in our state, making drug testing an absolute necessity.
Drug use and misuse in Western Australia:
- Drug testing of wastewater has shown that Western Australians are the highest users of methamphetamines in the nation. In the latest round of wastewater drug testing, methamphetamines use was estimated to be 58 doses per 1000 people per day.
- After stealing, drug offences are the most common crimes in Western Australia. There were nearly 35,000 drug offences in the 2016-17 financial year and just under 33,000 in 2017-18. The number of drug offenses has more than doubled since 2007-08.
- When do these drug issues start? At a young age, it seems. Around four drug-related incidents a week occur across all Western Australian schools. Most incidents are for possession, but some are due to drug dealing.
- In 2015, 37% of people killed on Western Australian roads were found to have an illegal drug in their system.
- While the number of drivers being killed or seriously injured on Western Australian roads where alcohol was a factor has dropped over the last 20 years, there are still around 100 deaths and serious injuries each year.
Specific workplaces statistics are also concerning:
- Surveys have shown that around 20% of people have been absent from work after drinking alcohol.
- The same number have admitted to going to work under the influence of alcohol.
- 2% of people have confessed to going to work affected by drugs.
- 10% of employees say they have suffered negative effects (accidents, near accidents, need to cover for a colleague, abuse) due to fellow employees being affected by alcohol or drugs.
If you’re a business owner or manager in Western Australia where safety is a priority, what these statistics should tell you is that people are willing to take risks with drugs and alcohol. Which is why having a drug and alcohol policy, and conducting drug testing, is a priority.
Integrity Sampling conducts drug testing in Western Australia, with 7 branches covering much of the state. We also have more than 30 locations throughout Australia. Integrity Sampling can help you with all drug and alcohol management requirements. Give us a call on 1300 SALIVA to discuss your needs.
If your workplace is safety critical, drug testing should be a priority. Credit Alexandre Prevot https://bit.ly/2PO8ex0