It’s fast approaching. That time of the year when seemingly responsible and respectable employees may think it’s funny to take photocopies of their bottom or ask for a kiss under the mistletoe.
While incidents like these may be awkward and definitely not okay in today’s workplace, what can be even more alarming is when employees turn up to work under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Which is why drug and alcohol testing, as part of a robust drug and alcohol management plan, is even more important during the lead up to the Festive Season.
How can you protect your business this Festive Season?
- First and foremost, make sure you have a drug and alcohol management plan in place. Just as importantly, make sure that it doesn’t collect dust on a bookshelf. Review it regularly and make sure its contents are widely known (see next point).
- Educating your employees about your drug and alcohol management plan and the dangers of drugs and alcohol is something you should do regularly. Leading up to Christmas and New Year, in particular, is an idea time to run a reminder session. Many people who turn up to work under the influence don’t do so deliberately, so education about aspects such as how long drugs and alcohol can stay in the body will help the vast majority who want to do the right thing.
- Undertaking regular drug and alcohol testing in your workplace is a smart move at any time of the year and particularly leading up to the end of the year. Also, remember to tell employees about your drug and alcohol testing program in your education sessions.
- Drug and alcohol management is not about waving a big stick, which is why providing support and counselling for employees who are having issues dealing with drugs or alcohol is important.
- Have a structured disciplinary procedure in place for anyone who is caught under the influence of drugs or alcohol while at work.
Integrity Sampling’s workplace drug and alcohol testing
The lead up to Christmas and New Year is a busy time for most businesses, including Integrity Sampling. Some of our branches are already starting to get booked out in the final months and weeks of the year, so if you would like to organise drug and alcohol testing for your workplace, now is the time to do so.
If you are an existing Integrity Sampling client, the easiest way to organise drug and alcohol testing is to go to https://integritysampling.com.au/booking-enquiry/ and submit a form. If you’re not an existing Integrity Sampling client, give us a call on 1300 SALIVA (725 482).